An insurance powerhouse with a long history, Liberty Mutual offers a variety of personal insurance coverage options including standard home and auto insurance, along with more specialized coverage for things like antique and classic cars, landlord insurance and identity theft. It also has a business insurance division, which provides a wide range of commercial property, casualty and employee-benefits coverage options.
Liberty Mutual began in 1912 as the Massachusetts Employees Insurance Association. Since its beginnings, policyholders have held the reins of the company, not stockholders — a fact that Liberty Mutual uses to tout its strong customer service. According to a 2015 J.D. Power ranking, the company scores in the average range for claims satisfaction in both auto and home insurance. Liberty Mutual currently sits as the fifth-largest property and casualty insurer in the United States.
Liberty Mutual offers a robust online platform to manage your policy, track a claim or make a payment. It also offers an online quote tool, which is handy if you need to shop for various policies. Liberty Mutual’s insurance agents and sales representatives are located throughout the country, making it convenient if you prefer face-to-face interaction. While you can file a claim at any time, Liberty Mutual’s customer service agents are unavailable by phone during certain nighttime hours, which can be inconvenient.
Liberty Mutual Auto Insurance
Liberty Mutual car insurance provides the same standard coverage that you can expect from most auto insurance providers, including bodily injury liability, property damage liability, medical payment coverage and collision and comprehensive coverage. Liberty Mutual also provides a number of additional coverage packages and benefits, including:
- New Car Replacement – If your new car is totaled within the first year and 15,000 miles, you receive money for a brand new car, not the depreciated value of the car you totaled.
- Better Car Replacement – If your car is totaled, you receive money to replace it with a car that is one year newer and has 15,000 fewer miles on it.
- Rental Car Reimbursement – Liberty Mutual covers the funds of a rental car if you’re in an accident and your vehicle needs repairs.
- Deductible Fund – Lower your collision deductible and even reduce the amount you pay out-of-pocket if you file a claim.
- Teachers Auto Insurance – If you’re a teacher, this coverage protects any teaching tools or supplies you store in your car.
- 24-Hour Roadside Assistance – This optional coverage provides peace of mind with roadside assistance any time of the day or night.
- 12-Month Rate Guarantee – While many auto insurers adjust rates every six months, Liberty Mutual offers 12-month policies.
- Auto Recall Notification Service – You don’t miss out on a vehicle recall with this notification service.
- Accident Forgiveness – If you’ve gone five years without an accident or violation, Liberty Mutual doesn’t raise your rates due to your first accident.
Liberty Mutual also offers a variety of standard discounts, including a multicar discount, a preferred payment discount, hybrid vehicle discount and vehicle safety features discount. If you want to save money further, you can bundle several Liberty Mutual policies for a discount. Auto coverage requirements vary from state to state, but Liberty Mutual’s online quote tool is easy to access and use to find your ideal policy.
In addition to insurance coverage for standard cars, Liberty Mutual also offers policies for different vehicles, such as antique and classic car insurance, motorcycle coverage, boat and watercraft coverage, RV coverage and ATV coverage.
Liberty Mutual Home Insurance
As the third-largest home insurer in the United States, Liberty Mutual has the power of a strong financial backing behind its homeowners insurance. All Liberty Mutual homeowners insurance policies cover the following basic components:
- Physical Structures
- Personal Possessions
- Additional Living Expenses
Additional coverage options include:
- Home Protector Plus – Offers expanded coverage and protects against unforeseen costs when rebuilding your home or replacing personal property.
- Inflation Protection – Automatically adjusts your coverage limits and the policy renewal to keep pace with inflation.
- Coverage for Valuables – Offers added coverage for high-end items such as jewelry or art.
As with the company’s other insurance policies, you can use the Liberty Mutual eservice tool to manage claims or control your account online. The Liberty Mutual website also gives you the ability to use the home or life insurance quote tool to get a good estimate of plan costs.
Liberty Mutual Renters Insurance
Homeowners aren’t the only ones who can benefit from Liberty Mutual coverage; renters insurance is available to protect your possessions if you don’t own your home. Renters insurance covers your personal property in the event of theft, fire and certain types of water damage. It also covers expenses that may arise if you damage someone else’s property or if someone gets hurt in your house or apartment.
Liberty Mutual Life Insurance
If you want to provide for your loved ones after you pass away, Liberty Mutual has several life insurance options, including:
- Term life insurance – This provides coverage for a set period of time, or term, that ranges from 10–30 years. With this coverage, your beneficiary receives a set payout on your death if you pass during the term. Rates are generally low, and remain the same throughout the term length.
- Whole life insurance – This provides lifelong coverage. It builds cash value over time, which you may be able to borrow against if needed.
- Universal life insurance – This provides lifelong coverage but also offers the flexibility to change your level of coverage or premium payments over time.
The company’s life insurance quote tool is a smart way to view which policies might be right for your situation.
Liberty Mutual Business Insurance
Liberty Mutual isn’t just for personal policyholders, as it also has a thriving business insurance department. Business insurance is available for a wide range of companies in a variety of industries, from small startups to Fortune 500 companies. This coverage is available to protect your business’s property, resources, vehicles, employees and more. Some of the coverage options include:
- Commercial Auto Insurance
- General Liability Insurance
- Excess Liability Insurance
- Equipment Breakdown Insurance
- Inland Marine Insurance
- Property Insurance
- Surety Bonds
- Third-Party Administration
- Umbrella Insurance
- Workers’ Compensation Insurance
Specific policy coverage options do vary from state to state and may change depending on your industry. To learn more, you must contact a Liberty Mutual representative to discuss your coverage options.